Are we the only ones who cook with tomatoes on a daily basis? That must mean that tomato season has officially begun! Here's a delicious recipe from A Dash of Wholesome for you to try at home: Roasted Tomato & Dill Soup.
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 1h30 | Total Time: 1h55
- 4 lbs. fresh tomatoes , mixed varieties
- 5 medium whole garlic cloves , peeled
- 2 large shallots , quartered
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 + 3-4 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. dill , very finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Place the tomatoes, the whole garlic cloves and the shallots in a large baking dish (I used a 9x13 casserole pan). Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Sprinkle over 1 teaspoon of sea salt and give everything a quick mix. I like to use my hands since the pan will be pretty full.
- Bake the tomatoes, garlic and shallots for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. You are looking for the tomatoes to have cooked down quite a bit.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a blender, place half of the tomato mixture and 1 ¼ cups of vegetable broth. Blend until perfectly smooth (about a minute). Repeat this step once more. Make sure to pour in all the juices from the pan as well. You don’t want to waste all that amazing flavour from the pan.
- Transfer the puréed tomatoes, garlic and shallot to a large saucepan. Add in the dill, coconut milk, maple syrup, sea salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Turn the heat up to medium-high and stir until combined. Taste the soup for seasoning.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!