Long weekends rhymes with wine (obviously) and brunch! If you're having a brunch this weekend, you MUST try our banana-nut french toast bake. It's quick, it's completely delicious & (quite) healthy. Recipe from A Dash of Wholesome.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Resting Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Servings: 4
- 2 medium bananas , very ripe
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 cups cubed bread , 1 inch cubes *see recipe note
- 1/4 cup walnuts , chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside for later.
- In a very large bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork until they form a smooth purée.
- Add in the non-dairy milk, eggs, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Whisk the mixture with your fork until well combined.
- Add in the cubed bread and give a gentle toss with a spoon or your hands. I like using my hands for this step since it helps keep the bread cubes intact.
- Gently pour your bread mixture into your prepared pie dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the chopped walnuts.
- Place in your preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
For this recipe, it is ideal to use a bread that is a few days old. Since the bread will be dryer, it will hold up better in this recipe. Also, I recommend using a good crusty loaf of bread. My favorite is to use a sourdough bread as it adds to the delicious flavour of this bake.
For the complete recipe with instructions and pictures, click here!