"Looking for a rich and flavourful chicken dish to make for you and your family this week? Why not try this Provencal Braised Chicken in Milk recipe for your next family dinner! The chicken legs and thighs are cooked slowly in a beautifully creamy sauce. The herbs and other aromatics in the braising liquid add the necessary freshness to the dish. The chicken is braised for over an hour in this sauce, which allows the chicken to become tender and delicious. Make sure to serve this Provencal Braised Chicken with all its fixings."
Cook Time: Over 1 hour | Serving size: 4-6
- 6 – 8 bone-in chicken legs and thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried herbes de Provence
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole shallots, peeled and halved
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 cups whole milk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 320ºF. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper, then with the herbes de Provence.
- Heat a Braiser over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides to a deep golden brown. Remove the braiser from the heat and move the chicken to a plate. Spoon any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and scrape any browned bits from the bottom. Return the chicken to the braiser and bring the milk to a simmer. Cover with the lid and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and move the chicken, shallots and garlic to a warm platter. Discard the thyme stalks and bay leaves. Reduce the milk sauce until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Serve chicken with the sauce and a few pieces of shallots and garlic.
For the complete recipe with instructions and pictures, click here!